Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Nice super8 surprise at local camera store

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Went to a local camera store, and was pleasantly surprised to discover, they carry Kodachrome 40!! And it's only 12.00 a roll, cheaper than Kodak's website! So if I need a roll in a hurry, I can just run down to that store...almost like the old days, when super 8 was everywhere! I should mention, the guy in that camera store was not knowledgeable about Super8, said Kodachrome was the "only super 8 stock Kodak still makes." Wrong!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love these kind of stories!

    I tried to talk my local video vendor whom I spend as much as $300.00 at a time when I but video to carry Super-8 film. They went on and on about how difficult it was to carry Super-8 unless you were an authorized Kodak dealer..etc...

    How do you think this happened that you local camera store has it? Was it by design or accident? Why would the store owner know about Kodachrome 40 but not about any of the other stocks?

    Do you think there are others in your town shooting Super-8?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MattEBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2002
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was walking donw my local high street, when all of a sudden I see a sign for a shop that does film-to-video transfers!

    Not only that, they also do film-to-DVD transfers!

    All that at a bargain price!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's a specialty camera store, been open for years, it's where I got my bolex projector 20 years ago...there must be somebody buying super 8, otherwise they wouldn't carry it. As far as I know, they're the only store in town that has it.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Will curiosity get the better of Mikey B and will he want to meet actual Super-8 filmmakers in his area! Perhaps Mikey B has stumbled across the Loyal Order of Secret Super-8 Filmmaking Enthusiasts! Maybe their homebase is Omaha, Nebraska. [img]cool.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Possibly! But I know that guy at the camera store isn't one of them! Mike

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was in Hollywood today buying videotape. Next Door was a camera store called Simon's camera. I walked in and saw about 4 or 5 super-cameras for sale. They were inside the see through glass display counter.

    There was a Canon canosound camera, a chinon with a nikon lens on it, maybe a sankyo, I believe I saw an elmo camera, plus an earlier Super-8 camera (looked to be from the late 60's) that had it's BW instruction booklet rubber banded around the camera.

    The price range was around $50.00 to $150.00. I couldn't really see the cameras that well and didn't want to waste their sales people's time since I had no plans on buying.

    But I did ask if they sold Super-8 film. The gentleman replied "Yes", very enthusiastically. I asked what super-8 stocks he carried. "Ektachrome, Tri-X, and Plus-X" he replied. Maybe he had the 200T negative, but I'm not sure.

    "No Kodachrome?" I asked. "No", the sales person said, "We have not had any for a while". Suddenly, I did not want to look like a price conscious Super-8 Looky Lou who would ask questions but not purchase, so without hesitation I bought one cartridge of Tri-X. I already have some Tri-X, but I bought one cartridge anyway for the price of $12.99.

    Remember to vote early and vote often for Super-8! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's odd that they didn't carry any Kodachrome..that's like the main dish for a lot of hungry Super 8 cameras!! But at least they had some super 8 film on hand, and cameras too.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a camera store in Grand Rapids MI, that has several 8 and supper 8 cameras......in there antique collection!

    Thay must not visit this web site.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •